Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Black and White

Black is the color of objects that do not emit or reflect light in any part of the visible spectrum. They absorb all such frequencies of light. Although black is sometimes described as an achromatic or hue-less color, in practice it can be considered a color. This makes a contrast with white, which is defined as the impression of light that equally stimulates all three types of the color sensitive visual receptors. In other words, they are exact opposites and your eye will react as opposites. This is why a black and white room has such an electric feel to it. It stimulates the eye. These images show contrast, which gives them such appeal!






*Images compliments of Canadian House and Home, House Beautiful

12 comments:

Design Esquire said...

I love this post and all the images! My wedding colors were black & white (it was in Boston, so I felt like I could get away with a more contemporary color scheme).

Also, I just gave you a blog award! Stop by my blog to check it out.

Erin said...

I love black and white...these rooms are exactly why! So chic, energetic and timeless!

Alaina Kaczmarski (Live Creating Yourself) said...

Surprise, surprise - I like the mostly white room the best. And the bathroom is pretty great. I looove black in fashion, but for one reason or another, I don't like it in interior design all that much. I guess it's my natural inclination toward light colors. If I were to use black in a room, it would definitely be with a piece of furniture rather than upholstery.

Sweet Nothings said...

LOVE the second picture! i die.

Mimi said...

All great pics...I really like the mirrored panels in the first pic. At first glance, I thought they were french doors..Great illusion and opens up that beautiful room.

Grant K. Gibson said...

My heart beats faster in black and white.
I love how they placed the convex mirror in the fireplace in the first shot. I am LOVING this magazine too!

Cristin said...

So chic! Great images.

xo,
cristin

Laura Casey Interiors said...

love it! great images.

Kristin said...

LOVE that gorg bathroom mirror!

Blueprint Bliss said...

That second image is great!

Jennifer said...

love black and white! all of this is great.

Paloma {La Dolce Vita} said...

Such a gorgeous collection of images!

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! Thank you!