Monday, September 14, 2009

The Edit of Bookcases


When I went to Parson's for my wonderful interior design classes and with Cassandra at the Art Institute of San Francisco and Melissa working retail at her different retail jobs, we never thought our jobs would entail working with some many bookcases. It becomes inevitable when going to a client's home or staging a home for sale where there are bookcases that have to be either filled or edited. This can be a daunting challenge.

In a staging job, (and sometimes an interior design project) if a client has things in the bookcase that are valuable or have great sentimental value, these have to be moved and grouped together or taken out completely. I always have to be very aware of my clients feelings and thoughts. I like to group odd numbers, colors and shapes together. Cassandra has said "you do not have to fill the whole shelf." I really love the look of book shelves where the books have been covered in normally white or cream onion paper or vellum that adds a cohesive appearance. Putting a bookcase together is very much like painting. You place an object or book on the book case and then stand back and look at the big picture. I have an odd habit of having to turn my head sideways and looking to see if I like the way it looks. I love the way bookcases look when the back of the bookcase is painted with a contrasting color or deeper color than the surrounding wall. You can even match the back of the bookcase to the floor for added interest!

We have chosen a number of bookcases for their collection of objects that we all liked or house a collection of beautiful books. Putting together a bookcase can take hours but remember, less is more.






















*images compliments of Eddie Ross, Blount design, voila gallery

20 comments:

sarah @ realestatestyle said...

I am bookmarking this post. I need so much help with bookcases I have. I am terrible! Where do you find the cream onion paper to cover books?

eddieross said...

Love your selections, and thank you for the mention!

Eddie

JMW said...

I love seeing the unexpected in bookcases, such as the small painting hanging amid the books or the touch of blue on the background of the cases. Great pics!

Erin said...

Putting together an attractive bookcase has always been so daunting for me! These are such inspirational images though. I especially love the first 3 pictures....so clean and fresh and uncluttered.

bluehydrangea said...

love all the pictures. I already have some of them saved in my favorites file and I am adding others!! thanks for a great post!

LindsB said...

Bookcases are so hard sometimes- I'm having a struggle with mine lately- it seems as if nothing works. I'm saving lots of these images and going back to take a look at mine agian, thanks!!

Cara said...

Love the bookcases! I have been trying to make mine more visually appealing.

Yansy said...

I love working with bookcases. There is so much you can do with them, and you can always change the look of a room by editing your accessories. I love all of the images you chose.

Padgett Hoke said...

ahh, I have such issues putting together a good looking bookcase! It probably takes a lot of practice!

Vitania said...

The bigger the book case the bigger the work of art !! I can only imagine how time consuming this is. My favorite is to see plenty of books, with the occasional picture object to break it up - GReat Gallery!

Beth Dunn said...

They look lovely! Truly talented. xoxo

Dallas Shaw said...

those wooden chairs are so unique
dallas
http://dillydallas.blogspot.com

Lindsay said...

Sooo pretty!

Haven and Home said...

Love books covered in white! I agree, less can be more!

Style Redux 2 said...

Great roundup-is the last one Eddie Ross?

Design Esquire said...

I love all these images. I wish I had more bookshelves to decorate! Great post.

Deliciously Organized said...

Beautiful images! The one with the lucite chairs is stunning. -carlee

Eclectic said...

What inspiring images! I especially love the crispness of the first few. Bookcases can be SO daunting but I think b/c of that...it makes them one of my favorite things to do! The challenge :)

Struggler said...

I'm enormously fortunate that, having moved from the UK to the US, we only brought a few very favorite books with us. Since then we have confined most of our reading to library items, thus minimizing the size of our collection. So I'm doing OK on the less is more angle.

You found some lovely pictures here; I especially like the one where there are pale blue accents in the room and the back of the bookcase is also pale blue. Very calming!

test translate said...

thank a lot your information and Very Good information
When I read the article and see a variety
very much for I had the opportunity to publish my work.
Permission to offer my website,
A site about shelf bookcase

:)

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! Thank you!