Thursday, September 17, 2009

Horses of Sable Island

The Horses of Sable Island have intrigued me for years. I first learned or Roberto Dutesco work from one of the original issues of Modern Estate Magazine. I was so excited about his images of the Horses of Sable Island. I have finally made a post of his work so that I will always have it on file. The images of these horses is just amazing. They bring me back to growing up and reading the books "Misty of "Chinoteague" that I read every night and I would fall asleep with the book "Black Beauty" in my arms. The pictures of these horses makes you want to reach out and touch them. You are so close to them and can almost feel their fur and the texture of their coats and feel their breath on your face. It is amazing and so wonderful and to imagine that these horses are wild!
Sable Island is a narrow sandbar in Halifax, Nova Scotia. There are over 400 horses on this island. It is protected by the Canadian Government and when Roberto Dutesco wanted to start his "Horses of Sable Island Project" he had to seek permission from the government to visit the Island. This is a collection of work that spans a time period of 15 to 16 years of work. Robert0 Dutesco has shown through his photographs and amazing and beautiful part of the world. The Wild Horses of Sable Island Gallery can be seen at 13 Crosby Street in Soho, NY and is definitely on our list of places to visit when we make a trip into the city.


Chasing Wild Horses - clip 3 of 4 from Roberto Dutesco on Vimeo.

















12 comments:

Padgett Hoke said...

happy 100th post to you too!! how ironic we both celebrate the big 100, congrats! I have seen some of his work before of the horses, and am so in love with the photographs. I love the raw quality of each photo, very impressive!

Alaina Kaczmarski (Live Creating Yourself) said...

Wow. Absolutely gorgeous photography. Not sure I'd ever have a place for it though... I think it sets the tone of a room. Any of these would look amazing in the home of Badgley and Mischka! They have that English country, equestrian, plaid look going on... haha. I've definitely seen a couple of those images around, but never realized they came from the same place.

Laura Casey Interiors said...

What beautiful pictures. Thank you for sharing those.

MyLittleHappyPlace said...

I have been in awe of his work since it first started popping up on the design scene. I'm so glad you did this post, so I too, will have it saved in cyberspace to re-visit!

Kristin said...

Absolutely amazing images. I especially love the b&w!

The Consummate Hostess said...

What beautiful images, truly. It does bring to mind the horses of Chincoteague, which in my mind are pure magic. Really great post ladies! The last two are my favorites that I have read from y'all. Nice work!

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

I love his work. I went to a local Mexican restaurant around me called Besito and the owner is his brother so it is filled with his beautiful photography. I wanted to take them all home with me they are amazing.

Yansy said...

His work is just amazing! I love every single photo.

Design Esquire said...

Wow, every image is just breathtaking. Great post.

Lisa said...

Wow! It's good to see these beautiful creatures in the wild. I think it's also good to remember that not all horses are the gentrified beauties that we see in the Bluegrass.
Love the gritty photography. Great post & happy 100th!
xo Lisa

Kelly 'Knoth' Christensen said...

Oh My Gosh. I have been in LOVEEEEEE with these photographs for years. I would give almost anything to have a HUGE copy somewhere in my house... like the over-sized one in the living room photo.

pink-to-green said...

this post was such a treat to read; i love all of the black and white images and the interiors they are in too! thanks for sharing this!

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! Thank you!