Wednesday, October 7, 2009

An Empty Wall

An empty wall or table just cries for attention. These are great places to display art. But art work should not just be about filling up an empty wall space. It should provoke some type of feeling about the art in you. Watch how a piece of art work makes you feel. Choosing artwork should relate to your decor of the room. Here are some points that should be covered about displaying your art work. In general, artwork should be hung so that the center point of the picture is at eye level. For the average person that is about 56 to 58 inches from the ground. Relating art to the wall size, choose smaller pictures for narrow walls and larger works for bigger walls. Relate the artwork to the size of your furniture. In general when hanging art over a piece of furniture it should not be longer than the width of the furniture and remember symmetry gives a more classic appeal. Art is an accent to a room. It adds color, style and taste. It can direct the mood and design of a room. Here is a collection of images of prints and paintings that generate a great deal of feelings for us and we love them.












*Images compliments of Mecox Gardens, Meg Braff

14 comments:

The Matters of Style Girls said...

I officially want a tortoise shell to hang on the wall! Great pics today.

sarah @ realestatestyle said...

I am dying! I LOVE all things coral and love the audubon bird pics. Also really liking the lamsp in the first pic! I do have a wall in my living rm that is the last thing I have to do. Have been searching for the perfect art, and this post gives me some great ideas, thanks!

Deliciously Organized said...

I love the prints above the desk. Perfection!

Design Esquire said...

All the images are so pretty! Thanks.

Sarah (Matters of Style) said...

I have really struggled with a big empty wall in my living room! It is such a challenge, particularly because I don't have a tall piece of furniture on that wall. I've tried to do some salon-style art, but I still am not convinced it looks good. I like your suggestions!

Struggler said...

Ah, yes, you're tugging at my conscience. I have some empty walls (or walls with the wrong size art on them) but am hoping to find something that both my husband and I like, at the right price, and ideally, picturing something meaningful to us...

LindsB said...

What a pretty collection, I really like the first bird print, it reminds me of the art in the room I posted about today.

Yansy said...

I love all of the images but the first one is my favorite so far.

Emily said...

These are all so great! I totally agree with you but then usually freak out when I have a blank wall staring me in the face. Right now I have many since we're in a new place and I never know where to begin.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Southern Aspirations said...

Beautiful images! And fabulous advice.

I'm especially fond of the first two... something about Coral. :-)

Style Redux 2 said...

These are all gorgeous and such great tips-thanks!

Padgett Hoke said...

There are some fantastic prints in this grouping, what a useful post, thank you!

pink-to-green said...

I really like your tip about being aware of how the art makes you feel; I agree that what you hang in your home is about what makes you feel good!

DecorQuips said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! Thank you!