Thursday, November 5, 2009

Double Cocktail Tables


When we were at High point photographing Mariette Himes Gomez rooms, we noticed how she combined cocktail tables. We had an AHA! moment. We looked at each other and said double cocktail tables post!


Having a set of anything can be aesthetically very pleasing to the eye. It gives a room symmetry, with the close agreement in size and shape of the double cocktail table. They give an arrangement of furniture regular and balanced proportions. Two smaller cocktail tables can be so much less cumbersome in a room arrangement. The two smaller tables can be moved together to make one large table or pulled apart and used separately in different areas of the room. This makes them very versatile and a flexible design element. As with the room arrangement that Mariette used, she had two different sized cocktail tables. In one example she has an extremely long sofa that would look out of balance with just one cocktail table so she uses two very large ones with a small amount of space between them. They balance out the sofa and give it elegance. In another room she uses shorter but taller tables. These are examples of tables that can easily be moved around an interior.

We have put together a collection of double cocktail tables to show what a great design solution this can be.
Image via Carrier & Company



Image via Veranda by Peter Dunham
Image via Veranda by Nathan Turner
Image via Veranda
Images via of Country Living


Image via Elle Decor

Image via Elle Decor

23 comments:

mb said...

So clever, the two cocktail table thing.

My living room cocktail tables are the gilded bamboo ones in your last picture. (Mecox Gardens purchase)
I love them and have two garden benches scooted up to the back side, couch on the other.

Erin said...

I really love the way this looks and have been contemplating getting rid of my one table in exchange for 2 smaller ones. This post sealed the deal for me! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Alaina @ Live Creating Yourself said...

I absolutely love this idea! I remember when I did a post on Rashida Jones' studio apartment in NYC, I immediately noted how practical having two smaller tables is because, depending on the size and shape, they can be easily moved around to act as end tables rather than a large central coffee table.

I especially love the look of the two long coffee tables next to each other in the living room from at Home.

Alaina @ Live Creating Yourself said...

...on another note, I can't tell you often I'll be out and about when all of a sudden a lightbulb goes off and I think "blog post!" Haha It's a great feeling.

Maria said...

i love this look, great inspirational rooms! such a practical concept too!

My Notting Hill said...

Very creative post. Love it when there's 2 coffee tables. Is the Elle Decor one a Darryl Carter room?

Blair said...

What a fabulous idea for a post! Glad inspiration struck:) I have been loving that photo of the vogue lobby for so long.

Padgett Hoke said...

Great rooms! Plus, it sort of wouldn't feel that much like a huge commitment because you could shift them around to fit the need... really love the idea!

Cristin said...

What a great look and examples!

xo,
cristin

LindsB said...

I wish my family room was larger because this is a great look!

Dallas Shaw said...

I love this too- some nice rooms here

dallas
http://dillydallas.blogspot.com

Emily said...

Love love love this!

Deliciously Organized said...

I LOVE LOVE the two tables and I especially love that they can be moved around when needed. Great images.

Laura Casey Interiors said...

love the doubles tables. great post!

Southern Aspirations said...

oh yes, I love the double cocktail tables! Like the double bench... much better (IMHO) than just one long one!

pve design said...

Did you know that I have twins and this would be wonderful, twin tables for twins! I love seeing double!!
pve

Maria Killam said...

Love these kinds of posts! so great to see rooms with 2 coffee tables, interesting!

Chic Coles (Cole Design) said...

Thanks everyone such wonderful comments.

style chronicle said...

Great assorment of images. I love pairs of things. I currently have two italian boxes serving as coffee tables in my living room.

sarah @ realestatestyle said...

I love this post! I have 2 cocktail tables in our living room, and I love them, very easily moved around!

Grant K. Gibson said...

I have 2 myself and LOVE them!

carlee said...

I've always loved double! I'm still bummed that I did one big one for our tiny living room! Love all the images!

Shrinivas Vaidya said...

Truly amazing examples of symmentry. Very rarely I've seen two cocktail tables at the same pl;ace instead of a one rectangular one. Nice idea of simplicity. Thanks a lot for sharing the photos too.

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! Thank you!