Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Mercury Lamps

Mercury glass was first created in the 19th century as an inexpensive alternative to sterling silver. This material is a shiny, mirrored surface of mercury glass and is produced from double walled glass that is coated and sealed with silver between the layers. Mercury lamps are one of my favorite design elements. They add glamour to any room and create a very elegant look. Mercury lamps come in many different shapes and sizes, with more circular and bubble like shapes to more rectangular. My favorites are the bigger mercury lamps that really make a statement in a room. Below are some of my favorite mercury lamps!






Ballard Designs-Scalloped Mercury Glass Table Lamp $219



*Image compliments of: Dovecote, Cote de Texas, Elle Decor via Deliciously Organized, Chic Coles, Factual information from Ballard Designs

15 comments:

Padgett Hoke said...

I love mercury glass, so very very much. I have some candle pedestals from pottery barn in mercury glass that I absolutely love - I put everything on them and they are just so darn perfect in any setting!

Deliciously Organized said...

I'm pretty much obsessed with Mercury glass and would take ANY of these lamps. They bring so much glamour to a room!

Pink to Green said...

The perfect accessory for a room has to be one of these lamps; lovely!

Blair said...

Adore everything mercury! That first one is especially lustworthy!

Kristin said...

Mercury glass is SO so beautiful. I adore that second lamp. I have a mercury glass display of vases that I put out for Christmas!

MyLittleHappyPlace said...

Those are amazing, and I'd LOVE to have one (or a pair!)

Colette's Cottage said...

Love the mercury lamps by the bedside- instant glamour!

Emily said...

LOVE mercury glass. That bedroom from Elle Decor has been in my inspiration folder! Not sure there's anything I dislike in it!

Style Redux 2 said...

These are lovely.

JMW said...

Okay, you've just introduced me to a must-have for my home. Gorgeous lamps! I also like the throw pillows on the sofa above. Great combo with the lamps!

Haven and Home said...

To say I love Mercury lamps is understatement. Love love love

Chic Provence said...

I have always been fascinated by mercury glass, thanks for posting these beautiful choices...the Ballard deco one takes the breath away..!

Kit

Laura Casey Interiors said...

Love these, It all looks so great!!

Design Actually said...

I love mercury glass and these lamps are beautiful! I especially love the third photo, it's from one of my favorite homes EVER!

Renae said...

I LOVE these! I actually saw some at Homegoods the other day...
xx

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! Thank you!