Monday, January 11, 2010

Pull up a Chair

With the holidays behind us, looking back on the gatherings with people coming and going in the house, I am amazed at how many times chairs are moved around. This shuffle of seating always makes me realize the importance of having chairs that can be easily pulled up to accommodate seating whether it is in the dining room, living room or any other part of the house, be it bedroom or foyer. The pull up chair or occasional chair is so important to the function of a house and interior, to lay your hat and gloves or put on shoes and boots in a foyer. To have in the bedroom to lay clothes on or blankets and pillows when sheets are changed. They are of course helpful when extra seating is needed in the dining room or kitchen for meals. They are needed as family and friends gather for games in the living room or game room. I also think they can complete an interior by flanking a side board in the dining room or a console in the foyer. They give balance to a room when they are used in pairs.


*Images compliments of Mecox, Canadian House and Home, Anthony Todd, Jonathan Adler,

12 comments:

xo, Alexi said...

that's such a good point. my sister and i want to share an apartment someday and we've already decided that we're having a mix of different chairs for our dining room table, all the same height of course.

http://steampunkdolls.blogspot.com/

Deliciously Organized said...

I'm really loving that first photograph.

It's always good to have extra chairs around...I would love to keep a lot more in our home, but space is limited.

LindsB said...

I have a ton of extra chairs around my house and I use them for all the things you listed here. My favorite use is to hold a stack of clothes I am too lazy to put back in the closet :)

Laura Casey Interiors said...

I love all of these chairs, great pictures. can never have too many around!

style chronicle said...

Chairs are like shoes, you can never have too many! Love the images you chose.

Renae said...

Love it...chairs can certainly have character of their own. I adore different funky kinds of chairs, the unusual!

Pink to Green said...

You're so right, a plethora of chairs is best for entertaining... love these picks!

Sweet Nothings said...

i am always picking up chairs when im thrifting...im going to post my fabulous chair re do next week :)

and side note, i really want kelly green walls

Kristin said...

Can I please have a pair of #3? What a divine color!

Style Redux 2 said...

I love chairs. A great roundup of wonderful ideas.

Design Actually said...

I have a total chair obsession, you can never have too many!

My Notting Hill said...

Love, love the second to the last pic with the book shelves in the corner. I'm thinking it's that burnt orange chair that sets it all off. Great post - thanks! Michele

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! Thank you!