Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Stair Runners


Stairs are a great place to add style and design.  Whether you decide to use a fun pattern or a neutral color palate, this element is a great addition to any place, bringing a focal point to something that many may take as unnoticeable. 

There are five elements to a stair runner.  The tread is where you physically step, the riser is the height of the individual stair and the nose is the edge of the stair. Stair rods can be used under the riser for a more decorative look and hold the runner in place.  The last element is the actual material that is used as the runner.  There are two applications for the installation of the stair runner. One is called the "Waterfall" and this is when you attach the carpet to two points on each step (one at the back of the tread and one at the bottom of each riser).  This installation extends the life of the carpet on stairs. The second application is to tack the carpet at all points, for a tighter form to the staircase. Both give a great polished look, adding comfort to your home as well! (for installation tips go to Roger Oates)

One favorite design choice for stairs here at Chic Coles is painting a stair "runner" rather than using an actual carpet. With the painting choice you can use any color that can be created in paint. This you could even do yourself, if you felt so inspired! No carpet installation necessary.

















*Images compliments of: UKhomeideas.co.uk, Apartment Therapy, CopyCatChic, Staircarpetrunners.co.uk, Carpet.org, rogeroates.com, Girl Meets Glamour

22 comments:

Vanessa said...

What I love about great design is the clean precise lines. It's deliberate and generally speaking not too fussy. Thanks for the great pics!
Love
Vanessa

Emily A. Clark said...

These are great pics. My parents are getting ready to rip out the carpet on their stairs and put in wood. I will have to forward them these ideas. I don't know if they would go for it, but I love the idea of painting them.

Lovely Scribbles said...

Great information! I like the idea of painting the stair runner too, as I imagine it would be much easier to change when you're trying to switch up your look. I love the pics, too!!

Faff Around said...

Great post. You should check out the Canadian house and Home Magazine cover this month http://www.houseandhome.com/magazine/latest > the cover features stairs with an orange runner and a painted orange stripe all the way up.

Cristin said...

Great post! Is the one in the middle seagrass? I love the painted stairs too. I just wonder how it would look overtime. Maybe the chips would add to the look.

xo,
cristin

ashlina said...

aweosome post! i absolutely adore stair runners...especially the zebra ones...

:)

LindsB said...

I just love the runner in the second picture, so bold and fun- it would make going up and down the stairs fun!

Deliciously Organized said...

I really love the painted pictures you posted. thanks for all the wonderful tips!

sarah @ realestatestyle said...

Now I wish I had some stairs!

AK-Magnolia House said...

Very neat post!Thank you. My favorite runner is the white staircase painted with a grey runner. Love it!
AK.

Style Redux 2 said...

Great post-I love well chosen stair runners and these are amazing.

MyLittleHappyPlace said...

Our old home in NC had a lovely staircase that I just didn't get a chance to pick a runner for {drats!} I would've loved many of the options you've pictured here - and love the fresh idea of a painted runner!

JeanMarie said...

I painted a runner in my daughter's family home over a year ago and it is holding up beautifully in spite of two young children .

My Notting Hill said...

Love all these examples. Love the stairway with the metal X rails.

Apt. #34 said...

I'm loving the gallery walls!

Yansy said...

Love all of the examples on this post but David Hick's runner is my favorite. Happy 2010!

Valerie Wills Interiors said...

I love this post. Growing up in the UK most houses had carpeted staircases with stair clips and rods.... I used to think they were very dated but now I think they are so elegant. Funny how things change.

FROM THE RIGHT BANK said...

You posted this at the perfect time for me! I have two wooden staircases and while I like them as is, I'm told I should put something on them because of my dogs. Now I know where to start so thank you. Happy belated new year!

Design Wanna-be said...

I like the way they look, but they seem like an awful lot of work!

Emily said...

I love these! Just helped my mom pick out some carpet for their stairs. Painting them would have been easier I think!

Southern Aspirations said...

I LOVE all the options that you show here! We have carpet on the stairs and I cannot WAIT to rip it out and put wood and fabulous stair runners (it's the bill that I can wait for!). Great unique ideas and liked learning about "the nose" term.

Pink to Green said...

Very inspirational photos; sneaking style onto even the stairs- love these ideas!

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! Thank you!