Monday, March 15, 2010

Coffered Ceilings

The coffered ceiling is a  wonderful design element in a house.  You take a simple ceiling found in most rooms and can completly transforms it into an amazingly beautiful architectural patterned ceiling.  It just adds that wow factor to a room.  A coffered ceiling is a sunken panel in the shape of a square, rentangle or octagon in a ceiling, soffit or vault. A series of these sunken panels were used for ceilings in the stone coffers of the ancient Greeks and Romans, which are the earliest surviving examples.  Wooden coffers were first made by crossing the wooden beams of a ceiling in the Loire Valley Chateaux of the early Renaissance.
We have had the pleasure of working on some lovely homes where the architecture had coffered ceilings.  They enhance any design work that we could come up with.  The coffered ceiling really dresses up a room and makes it so special.

*Images compliments of House Beautiful, Alex Papachristidis, Allison Caccoma, Fern Santini, Elle Decor, Cole Design

23 comments:

JMW said...

I love architectural elements such as that.

Ink Obsession Designs said...

I am officially drooling right now. Those are gorgeous!

Laura Trevey said...

I would die to have a ceiling like that in our bedroom... stunning!

Cristin said...

Love when ceilings have a little detail!

xo,
cristin

erica@ moth design+luxe life said...

Gorgeous!!! I need to figure out where I can do some in my home. xo

Erika @ BluLabel Bungalow said...

I adore coffered ceilings!! They are on my wishlist for my foyer and family room. Thanks for inspiration images.

sketch42 said...

We installed a beamed ceiling in our living room so that we could put lighting in it. I love it.

You can see it here, its the third picture.

http://sketch42blog.com/2010/03/pictures-styling-pillows-etc/

Alicia said...

Aaaah my dream architechtural detial.....
The epitome of style. Ive had my moldings & wainscotting but this gem still alludes me. I keep dreaming & gazing at your fine examples.

Hampton said...

so beautiful!-love intricate woodwork in the living room. thanks for sharing! best, barbara

Averill said...

Gorgeous! I wanted to do this in our dining room but unfortunately it wasn't in the budget when we built the house -- hopefully someday we'll be able to add it on though!

Dayka (Life +Style) said...

love a coffered ceiling!

bazaarofserendipity said...

I love these celings I cant wait to buy a house and "pimp" my ceiling :)

www.bazaarofserendipity.blogspot.com

The Consummate Hostess said...

I love the element of surprise in a room with coffered ceilings. It is almost like just when you thought that an interior could hold no more surprises- just take a look up :).

Beatriz said...

Beautiful!! So glad I happened upon your blog. I'll be following :)

Beatriz.
thatgirlinpearls.com

Lavender and Lilies said...

I know. I love beautiful ceilings!

LindsB said...

They really add an extra element to a room and make it interesting and pretty to look at.

Southern Aspirations said...

I adore cofferred ceilings and am trying to convince my husband that we need option 2 in our basement. :-) These are great!!

Kristin said...

Such an incredible detail. LOVE the last room!

Ragland Hill Social by Gwen Driscoll said...

Just beautiful images. Thanks for sharing. Hope you have a great week.

Lacquered Life said...

there is something so wonderfully european about a heavily coffered ceiling, don't you think?--and their original purpose, for sound deadening, still serves them well today!

House and Life said...

These are really great! Thanks for sharing.

Deliciously Organized said...

It really makes such a difference! They are all gorgeous!

perfectly paisley said...

These are beautiful!!!!

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! Thank you!