Thursday, March 25, 2010

Longing for an Enclosed Porch

With all the classic homes there are in New England, there are also lovely porches that many people have enclosed to make an extended living space. This space often times incorporates the outside exterior of the house.  The exterior sometimes has shack work, sometimes it is left natural or can be painted a "fun porch color."  The porch setting usaully will have wrap around windows creating a very sunny or bright room.  It can be screened in the summer and sometimes even used as a sleeping porch on very hot days. We would love to have one that would be open and bright in the summer and in the winter have a field stone fireplace at one end so that people could gather around and enjoy the view from the enclosed porch. Of course dining alfresco in an enclosed porch is also wonderful and much more causal than the more formal dining.
Field Stone Fireplace

Images Compliments of: House Beautiful,  Standout-Fireplace-Designs, Life12

14 comments:

The Neo-Traditionalist said...

Ohhh the top porch is so lovely! Adore the white shingles : )
XO Katie

Design Esquire said...

Beautiful images!

Diane Dorrans Saeks said...

HI TO THE CHIC COLES GIRLS!

I love the stone fireplace here.

The stonemason must have been very talented and original and creative--and he gave the room such energy and delight.
cheers, DIANE
www.thestylesaloniste.com

Kristin said...

We have an enclosed back porch...if only it looked like one of those inspiration photos. Ah ha ha

JMW said...

Great images! I love our screened-in porch. We spend three out of the four seasons out there, dining, socializing. It's a great space.

pk @ Room Remix said...

I would love to curl up on the sofa in that first image with a good book and read the day away. :-) Hope you're having a good week!

Lacquered Life said...

I absolutely adore screened in porches! Growing up we had one when we lived on the water, and it was so nice to be able to enjoy being outside, but without the pesky bugs and the inconvenience of having to bring in the cushions every time it rained!

Mo said...

These porches are what I'm insisting on having some day. I LOVE PORCHES!!! I'm so sick of apartment life with lame balconies that have no privacy and all these fire codes :(

ashlina said...

gawd. i am so wanting one now........love them.

Averill said...

I love these -- especially with a fireplace! We've got covered porches, but not enclosed ones...and I know I'd use them SO much more if they were fully enclosed, especially in hot TX summers!

Sarah Jane said...

we had an enclosed screen porch growing up and it was so lovely. these images are beautiful! xo

Style Redux 2 said...

My daughter has an enclosed porch in her apartment in Georgetown-incredible. We have turned it into her dining room.

Dayka (Life +Style) said...

here in atlanta, i'd love to have a screened in porch so i can eat outside and not be swamped by mosquitoes! it drives me crazy and makes me REALLY miss california in the summer time. hopefully i'll get it in my next house . . .

Living It At Home said...

Hello and thank you for visiting my blog and your sweet comments! I too love enclosed "cozy" porches. I see many in my travels and I am charmed by them. I basically am "charmed" by most of New England!

~jamilyn

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! Thank you!