Friday, April 16, 2010

Favorite Element: Toile

Toile is a design element I love to see in interiors.  It is a fabric that really tells a story based on the print chosen.  Light brown, pink and blue are my favorite colors for toile and can really make a room stand out.  Toile can be really pretty on a chair or bedspread, a shower curtain or window treatments.  I like when it is used in smaller scales, which allows it not to become too overwhelming but to have the perfect amount of "pop."  It can, however be beautiful as a wallpaper or in a nursery as well.  We have a blue toile covered chair in our living room, similar to the shape of the one below and is one of my favorites.   

Do any of you have toile in your home?

*Images compliments of Tom Scheerer, Elle Decor, Homes and Gardens

14 comments:

Style Chronicle said...

Love that last room! So timeless and fresh!!

Laura Trevey said...

I love toile.... so beautiful! The wallpapers are gorgeous...

xoxo Laura

Emily said...

Saving the image of the pink room!! I just got a small antique chair that I want to redo in pink toile for a little girl's room :)

Denise said...

Although I do not have any toile in my home at this time, we were looking at material at a fabric shoppe and toile was what my husband picked. Needeless to say, I was quite surprised, him being a man and all :)

Design Esquire said...

I do not have any currently, but I want to add some! I love it.

Grant K. Gibson said...

I love how Darryl Carter uses toile- he does it on the reverse side and it is magic!

Tracy F. said...

I'm a toile nut! My master bedroom and bath are all blue and yellow toile, and it makes me happy every day of my life.

Beatriz said...

Agreed!! A touch of toile is so classy and timeless. Love it!

Beatriz.

Lacquered Life said...

I absolutely love the green room. I'm surprised you didn't list green as one of your favorite colors for toile!

Sweet Nothings said...

my parents have these toile chairs im waiting to snag. i keep telling them to "redecorate" lol!

Style Bent said...

Just ordered Harlem Toile from designer Sheila Bridges! Told my readers all about it here http://stylebent.blogspot.com/2010/04/design-for-who-you-are.html

My Notting Hill said...

Love the bedroom in the last picture - so beautiful.

Haven and Home said...

I don't use it a lot but I do love it!

Jan Jessup said...

I also love the reverse toiles, with a dark ground, such as Micheline in Blue from Calico Corners (www.calicocorners.com). It's beautifully rendered in fine lines and extraordinary detail. The Vice President's wife, Jill Biden, loves it too--she recently chose Micheline for a guest room in her home.

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! Thank you!