Friday, April 23, 2010

The Hutch

Storage and ascetics both come to mind when we think of the hutch. Storage and organization are a huge issue in every home. The hutch was hugely popular when every one had large TVs they wanted to store away. The wires and large backs of the TVs were so unsightly. I remember drooling over the beautiful pine hutches that Crate and Barrel sold in Cambridge Mass in the 80's. So the question today and asked of us many times is do I keep my pine hutch? There are a number of ways to update it. It can be stained a darker color, painted a high gloss white, or milk paint it to a subtle color. To keep the hutch can be important for two very important reasons. The storage and display possibilities are very important. The Hutches can also add hight and dimension to a room, where you have lower pieces of furniture.  This includes sofas in a living room or family room and bedroom room furniture which can all be very low in profile. It helps to add scale and size to a room. Also does any one have a storage problem with bedding, china and books? Huge issue for us. The flat screen TV has solved a few problems for us.



*Images compliments of Canadian House and Home

8 comments:

blydesign said...

Wow! Love that first hutch! Thanks for sharing!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I love a good hutch. My husband wants a new flat-screen TV in our family room, which will make the armoire we have the old one in unnecessary, so I've been trying to decide what to do with it. It might be the perfect place to hold extra bedding. I'm always trying to figure out what to do with the extra blankets during the warmer months.

Have a great weekend! :-)

lindsay said...

Love that first hutch... the shape is so cute!

Thanks!

Lindsay
A Design Story

Julie @ Chapman Interiors said...

Aw all three of these are so cute! I especially love the shapely first one..
Happy weekend :)

xoxo

Iva said...

the 3rd is so fantastic!! love the colors of the first two!

ashlina said...

that first hutch....oh i think i am in love! xoxoox
hope you girls are having a GREAT weekend.

Pink to Green said...

Because they are so versatile I bet you'll come up with a use for your pine one; plus these are great color inspiration if you're willing to give yours an update.

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

What? I must know where that turquoise pagoda-shaped hutch can be found. I love it!!My first visit to your blog - I'll be back!

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! Thank you!