Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Naturals Going Green

Natural and Green are buzz words we have have all heard time and time again. The April issue of House Beautiful has a number of wonderful articles on the subject. "Living Green the World of Wood" article starts in 1637 when the first Puritan erected the Fairbanks House in Dedham Massachusetts, believed to be the oldest wood-frame house in North America. The article ends in 2009 with the European Union setting standadrs for an "Eco-label" certifying that wood used in furniture must come from documented sustainable sources. One of our favorite ways to be green is giving new life to existing products. We love going to action houses and purchasing lightly loved but "new to us" products. We then reupholster or refurnish them, giving them the once over, you might say. We also love to keep and reuse all flooring and bead board, old doors, moldings ect. in projects.  Painting an old floor is a great way to go green. Every little bit helps. Plus, we love the color green as the trees start to bud and the grass starts to grow. Emerald green is a color we can definitely live with.


12 comments:

Averill said...

I'm all for green, though I admit I prefer a bolder kelly green or chaustreuse.

Cristin said...

Yes, for natural and green products! But, I have to admit it is not always possible.

xo,
cristin

Tiina said...

fabulous images!
have a sweet day :)
tiina
www.elcestockholm.blogspot.com

Lacquered Life said...

Looove the Fairbanks House in Dedham, MA. I can tell you all about it, w/o ever having been there!--its certainly an amazing model we should follow regarding sustainability and energy efficiency. Perhaps I'll post on it!

Laura Trevey said...

Love the baskets...

xoxo Laura

Rosie Campbell said...

Great pictures. So serene.

www.rosiecampbell.net

Blair said...

All so lovely! That eat in kitchen from Veranda is one of my all time favs. Happy thursday. xx

annechovie said...

What a serene environment! Have a wonderful weekend.

pk @ Room Remix said...

I agree that it's great to give new life to existing items, and sometimes much more fun too!

Ragland Hill Social by Gwen Driscoll said...

I use green as a neutral! People look at me like I'm nuts when I say that but I just think of it as part of nature and though color not something you will tire of over time. Thank you so much for stopping by RHS. I really appreciate your support and kind words. You're the best.

Kristin said...

I really do need to try to be "greener!"

Julie said...

That window/door in the second picture is to die for. I loved this kitchen when I saw it. Thank you for sharing it.

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! Thank you!