Friday, August 6, 2010

Guest Blogger: The Fabulous Alison

Chic Cole Readers meet Alison, my wonderful friend/coworker at Martha Angus! She came with me to the Renegade Craft Fair this past weekend, and I had to ask her to do a post on all of the amazing pieces of jewelry she got, not only because they are all really special but because she has such interesting and impeccable taste! And without further ado, Alison's guest post...



Cassandra and I had so much fun last weekend at the Renegade Craft Fair! Though it was quite a jaunt over to the Marina, once we found parking and made our way through the crowds of West Coast Country Music Festival, the Fair was very much worth the trip. I knew as soon as we walked into the event we were in for a fabulous Saturday shopping excursion. I was on a mission to find great jewelry and the vendors at the fair did not disappoint.

Our first stop was Heyday Design (www.heydaydesign.ca). The graphic, super-chic designs grafted from the bottom of vintage relish dishes are the epitome of vintage modern. Since these pieces are crafted entirely of porcelain, the 3D effect is truly amazing.



I fell in love with the positive/negative effect of these wing earrings, but was a bit concerned that they would break in the abyss of my large purse. I’ve been thinking about them ever since, however, and may just have to order a pair.

Next we checked out the amazing designs of Miki Christopherson (http://www.etsy.com/shop/mikiandnora) .

Recently, a salesman at Bloomingdales told me that I really needed a long necklace, so at first I was first drawn to the Berry Drop Necklace ...


... but then the classic, yet edgy, faceted studs caught my eye...


...until I laid eyes on the octahedron earrings (in antique gold) and I was smitten.


Miki told me she wears her’s when she goes out, but I find them too cool to relegate to a dimly lit bar. I wore mine to a client meeting and the office and found them subtle enough in the antique finish for day or night

Several years ago my favorite earrings were a pair of dangly handcuff earrings made for “the good guys, the bad guys, and the voyeurs alike” by Erica Weiner (www.ericaweiner.com). More than once people stopped mid-sentence and asked in disbelief, “Are you wearing handcuff earrings!?”. They were definitely a conversation piece!


Ever since, her designs have been a personal favorite. I love Erica’s playful use of easily recognizable objects in new and ingenious ways, so I was thrilled to find her at Renegade. I quickly found a new soon-to-be-favorite--the gold letterpress necklace with an “A”!


If you want to channel your inner hippie-diva, this rough quartz crystal necklace would be perfect.


I had almost exhausted the cash in my wallet, but not before making an uber-practical purchase at Liz Oppenheim (www.lizoppenheim). Though I only bought a simple pair of silver hoops, these beauties also caught my eye.





I love how organic her work looks, without overtly referencing flowers, leaves or branches...


...like these oxidized tri-pod earrings, which remind me of both seed pods and satellite dishes.

By the time I arrived at Victoria Bekerman Studio (www.victoriabekerman.com) I was flush with new bling (and way over budget), but she had some amazing pieces that I’m considering ordering online.





We didn’t see many rings at the Art Fair, but this gold vermeil piece was a stunner.



If you haven’t done so already, please sign up for the Renegade Craft Fair’s mailing list (http://www.renegadecraft.com/) so you can get updates on upcoming shows. I believe very strongly in supporting independent artists and the Renegade Craft Fair is the perfect venue for doing so. The quality and creativity exhibited last weekend prove that you don’t have to spend a ton of money to get a unique and well-crafted piece of jewelry.  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stunning, So many beautiful pieces and so different. Great post.

The Consummate Hostess said...

Beautiful pieces! I am especially fond of those last few delicate gold items- they are just lovely!

Melissa said...

The Victoria Beckerman pieces are my favorite! They are beautiful and I will definitely have to get either the honeycomb looking necklace or the ring. Looks like you had a very successful weekend!

Alison said...

Thank you Cassandra and the rest of the Chic Coles for inviting me to blog! I had so much fun sharing my finds with you and your readers.

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! Thank you!