Monday, September 13, 2010

DIY: Black to Turquoise

Hope everyone had an amazing weekend! We certainly did. Lots of sun (thankfully) and activities. And big news on the home front - got our dining chairs back. We went down to Capitola last weekend and painted some chairs. The boyfriend's parents sweetly drove them up (since they weren't dry enough to transport last weekend). 

Some of you may know, I am a huge craigslist fan! LOVE it! I found these black Ikea chairs about a year ago  - get this - four of them for...$15! There are the most amazing deals out there!


So I wasn't a huge fan of the darkness of the chairs and couldn't decide which color I wanted until I came across this beautiful inspiration image. I knew right away, this is the color I want the chairs!


Well with school finishing and moving and LIFE, the chairs got put on hold until about a year later! Finally Labor Day Weekend, it was chair painting weekend. We (more me than anything) thought this was going to be a breeze, but it turns out chairs aren't the easiest thing to paint! There are a lot of surfaces! If you have never painted chairs before, I can give you a few pointers!

Tip #1: Paint the bottoms first! This will make your life so much easier!


Tip #2: If the chairs are rough enough, you don't have to sand them (that's the worst part)! Just get a primer paint and put a good base coat!


Tip #3: Splurge for the good stuff! A quart of Benjamin Moore cost $14. We picked Cool Aqua in a Semi Gloss.


Tip #4: Flip them again! This will make your life so much easier! (I almost didn't flip them for the actual painting! Silly me!)


Tip #5: Use as dry a brush as possible. We also painted in the shade and then let the chairs bask in the beautiful California sun! The semi gloss Benjamin Moore is very fast drying, so painting in the shade really saved us!


This is the finished product! I love how it looks with the white table! The best part is, all in all, the chairs cost me less than $30! 

23 comments:

The Consummate Hostess said...

These are so cheerful and fabulous! Great choice of color- it really makes the chairs pop. Great job!

MyLittleHappyPlace said...

Oh, my, I do love me some Turq-WAZ!!! Lovely job on the chairs - they look fabulouso with the table!

Erica @ Decorica said...

Looks like a fun dining space now, very pretty. Great tip on turning the chairs upside down first - I'll use it next time I paint a chair!

JMW said...

THOSE ARE FABULOUS! Not only are they oh-so-chic, but you did it yourself, which makes them even more special. :)

Emily said...

AMAZING job! I love them! hope all is well!

Chic Geek said...

They look great! Awesome job!!

Anonymous said...

The chairs are great, but LOVE the rug. Will you share info?! From a NOLA girl

A House and Home said...

I think House of Turquoise is really starting a Turquoise revolution! I am tempted to paint my new Craig's List dresser turquoise...these chairs looks fantastic. Thanks for the tips.

Cassandra C said...

Nola Girl (anonymous)! The rug is from Ikea!

Thanks for all the sweet comments everyone! I really appreciate them!

Erin said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE! This is such an inspiration. I need to hit up craiglist and thrift shops more often...turquoise paint is pure magic!!!! This looks AWESOME! Great job!

Alaina @ Live Creating Yourself said...

amazing!! i have some AWFUL kitchen chairs i need to paint. inspiration overload here!

Cassandra C said...

Alaina - you are the sweetest! Thank you. I am trying to incorporate lots of DIY into my life. 1 of 3000 to go!
I just sent Melissa's prints to her, she is going to love them. I got the Ribba frames from Ikea! She will send a photo to you I'm sure!

Lavender and Lilies said...

They look great! I love love love them.

mydesignchic said...

They look amazing!! Such a great color choice...love it!

Anonymous said...

Cassandra so in love with them. Great job. How cute all your hard work is .Dinning room looks wonderful. That bookcase looks great to!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Cassandra so in love with them. Great job. How cute all your hard work is .Dinning room looks wonderful. That bookcase looks great to!!!!!!

Starfish & Sundresses said...

Looks SO great! Love them!!

Love of the Sea said...

These are AWESOME. I love these....wow - you did a great job. THe chairs looks fabulous with the white table...WOW.

Jenn @ Living Luxe for Less said...

Love this idea! I would never think to paint old Ikea chairs turquoise! They look fabulous! And they add such a fun pop of color to your kitchen!

pk @ Room Remix said...

I love how these turned out! The whole room looks great! Do you mind if I share this in an upcoming post with a link back?

Abbie said...

LOVE the color! I would totally do this, but my hubs would put the kibosh on it before it even came out of my mouth.

Megan said...

Turquoise is infectious and I love it in this project- thanks for the paint tips!

The Goods Design said...

Fabulous job! I have the same ikea chairs in my garage - they were my first dining chairs!

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! Thank you!