Monday, September 27, 2010

DIY: Geometric Art

I found this great DIY art project from this blog and knew that I had to do it! The bedroom was calling for a large piece of art and on the small budget, I thought this would be the perfect solution. 


The boyfriend had purchased a bed frame from Craiglist for $1 and the guy selling it threw in a piece of "art" from Ikea for free, very similar to the one below. Going for $99 at Ikea, it ended up being a great deal for him. It stayed in this state for quite some time...


And then I found the great DIY project! The boyfriend's Mom is the sweetest and offered to cover the canvas and frame in all white, which was such a huge help in this project. So after picking it up yesterday in Capitola, we set out today to do our own version!


He helped me with this great mock up in Photoshop, so that we knew exactly which areas to paint. Then I used some Painter's Tape to make sure that the white showed through.



I had the mock up printed out and pinned up next to me but ended up painting all of them one color...which you may remember from this post. I just added a bit of white paint to make a slight contrast in color.




And then started to paint in the darker colored spaces, which weren't that many.


Once dry we took off the painters tape! And with the finished result, it got hung up...


The DIY Geometric Art in it's place! Besides taking a little while, it was so easy and didn't cost anything except for the thinner roll of tape.

12 comments:

Erin said...

Very, very cool!!! I love the colors! Thanks for the awesome tutorial!

Alison said...

This is so amazing. the entire room looks so wonderful and calm!

Julie @ Chapman Interiors said...

Girrrrrrrrrrrrl! This is great! What a clever idea!!

aneyefordetail said...

So easy and such fun to do...hey, you could even have a variation for every room!
Thanks for the great ideas!

Anonymous said...

What a great project. You did such a wonderful job. Love the colors and geometric pattern. You bedroom is so beautiful. Great bedding to.

Averill said...

Looks great! Such a great option for large-scale art on a budget. Plus, you can color customize!

Pemberley said...

well done!

mydesignchic said...

This is fantastic!! Perfect for over your bed...

Melissa said...

I am OBSESSED with this! I am definitely going to try it the next time I have a free weekend! Can you send me the photoshop layout?

THX! Love you!

LindsB said...

Really cool piece of art- I love the color and size of it for over your bed- nice job!

Peter said...

I like this version. Nice one!

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner said...

Trying to find some inspiration for some cheap artwork using painter's tape -- love this!!

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! Thank you!