Monday, January 17, 2011

DIY: Bulletin Board

This has been a do it yourself project that I have been dying to do since I first saw it on Alaina's Blog, Live Creating Yourself. She created this awesome Bulletin Board and I knew I just had to try it, but collecting all of the materials took me a really long time for some reason. Anywhoo...I started with this blank bulletin board. 


You'll have to forgive me, I wasn't the best blogger/DIYer! I only took a few photos but you can't mess this up, I promise!


These are the materials that I used:

Corkboard (24" x 36" from The Container Store)
Nailheads (I ordered these, 3 packs and I had extra left over)

Fabric (I had some leftover that I got from work)
Spray Adhesive
Staple gun
Iron/Steamer

Process:

1. Iron your fabric to get all the wrinkles out (especially if using linen)

2. Spray the adhesive all over the bulletin board, even the frame. Then spread the fabric over the board, making sure to really spread the wrinkles out. 




3. Push in the nailheads, you can use a hammer- Measure the width between the nailheads with the width of your pinkie finger. Go along the line of the board's moulding trim and you will get a straight line.


4. Spray adhesive the fabric onto the moulding
5. Staple gun the fabric onto the back of the board.
6. If you have extra fabric, just cut it off after you staple it. 




Here is the finished product!!! I am having a serious love affair and as Alaina mentioned in her post, a very hard time actually putting inspiration pieces onto my bulletin board. I'm going to enjoy it for a bit before I fill it up!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job.Love the color of your fabulous new inspiration board.the nail heads are great. This is a project I have been wanting to do for so long!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for showing me how.I can understand not wanting to fill it all up.Have a great day.Enjoy your new board.Thanks again.

Muffy said...

What a great idea! I like the fabric covered boards to, but it's hard to get stuff to stay on it & I don't like poking holes in the fabric. This is a great alternative.

Chic Geek said...

LOVE! I did the same project but for some reason my board warped! Think I may need to do it again. Yours looks fab!

red ticking said...

so cute i would just sit and stare at it too... xx

Heather Hays said...

This looks amazing! I love this blog and thought I would pass along the Stylish Blogger Award to you.

Here are the details...After receiving this award you have to pay it forward and follow the rules:

#1) Thank & link back to the person who awarded you.
#2) Share 7 things about yourself.
#3) Award 10 great bloggers that you have RECENTLY discovered
#4) Contact those bloggers and tell them about the award

Have a great day!

Heather

Anonymous said...

ok so I look at your inspiration blog and she used a linen color for her board and that is the color of my material.So I am on my way to making this all I need is the nail heads.

Stephanie said...

I made a bulletin board for our kitchen using some aqua and white fabric. It was a framed board so I spray painted the frame white and used spray adhesive for the fabric and just cut it to fit the insides. Since the hem was uneven, I used Fabric Tac (fabric glue) to glue some cute ribbon along the inside of the board against the edge of the frame (kind of like a matte). It came out so cute! I wish I had my pic of it on this computer, I'd link you to it. I'll get one and post it to my blog tomorrow! I like your tutorial too!

Kala Roberson said...

Looks awesome!! I've been meaning to try this myself, hope mine comes out at as well :)

A Room For Frances said...

Fabulous!!!! You've inspired me to do the same!!! :-)

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! Thank you!