Wednesday, January 19, 2011

DIY Desk

After Cassandra's inspirational DIY with her bulletin board, I saw this fun project on the Southern Living Website. It is a DIY project of making a desk out of two saw horses and an old door.I am just loving this look! Southern Living featured Coastal Living style director, Heather Chaddock's home where she re-purposed some fabric scraps to make this fabulous desk. The fabric she used is Four Seasons Winter by Victoria Hagan.

To make the desk use a basic hollow core door and cover the door with felt, then wrap the felt with the fabric, gluing between steps. Then glue on a beautiful navy tape and nail the nail heads into the tape trim, spacing the nail heads with a ruler.Place the fabric covered desk on two saw horses.To protect the fabric and make it easy to write, cover the desk with a beveled edge piece of glass.There...now you have a wonderful new desk and not a scrap of precious fabric wasted!!




Images compliments of:Southern Living, Kit Kraft

13 comments:

Emily said...

I am LOVING this! with a new officet o put together, I may just try my own!

JMW said...

What a great way to create a desk! And that is a fabulous color scheme, too.

Karena said...

Ho fabulous I love it! Creativity abound!!

Be sure to come and enter my Gorgeous Giveaway from Blydesign......

Xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

Anonymous said...

This is such a great idea! I'm loving it. Such a crazy thing that Southern Living is featuring Coast Living editor - close knit I guess?!

Chic Coles said...

Emily! If you try it - post it, we'd love to see!

Haven and Home said...

I have been obsessing over that desk! I want to try it too.

Interior Design Musings said...

Love this desk. The fabric is divine! The nailheads totally make it. M.

Simple Dwellings said...

That is an amazing DIY project! Thanks so much for sharing it. What a dream desk that looks so chic! I love your blog, and thanks for also stopping by my new blog!

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

Oh my gosh I love this--and that gorgeous fabric!

laxsupermom said...

I love this idea! What a great way to use a fabric you love.

Danielle Oakey Interiors said...

yep, i officially love this. i think i might need to make my own! i have been on the hunt for the perfect desk for my bedroom, this could fit the bill. thanks for sharing!

Ania said...

wowee! amazing idea...totally going to try this. Where can you get the saw horses though???

Lisa said...

I'm sitting at a hollow core door right now! They make perfect desks with trim on the edges. Spilt down the middle with wood brackets make for great shelves the same length as the desk! Love the fabric and nailheads. I'm all over that. Wow, that's alot of nail heads.
Inspiring post as usual from the Chic Coles!
xo Lisa

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! Thank you!